Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Your best "Gawker" story or stories?

440K views 3K replies 660 participants last post by  RyzRT 
#1 ·
I've got two; one is not mine. Was parked at a hotel over the weekend with my R/T. Another R/T (blue) pulls up and owner and wife get out to admire my car. So I walk out and start talking to them. The man told me that someone was looking at his car recently (car is only 1 month old) and walked right into a pole!

My story - We test drove a very base model SE; silver, nice but base wheels and no decals. Anyway, we were on the highway for an extended test drive and a guy pulls up next to us doing 75-80 and wants my wife to roll down the window. He shouts, "How much?"

Since I've had my R/T, I don't think a day goes by that someone doesn't give me the thumbs up on the road or stops me in a parking lot to compliment me. If you want attention - this is the car!

#2 · (Edited)
I've had my Hemi-Orange R/T for two weeks today. People have smiled, waved and followed me into parking lots to talk about my car. I doubt Mustang owners get this! And I am a Ford man, my dad is a Ford retiree and believe me, I know the 'stang is faster and lighter but the body style has never been there for me. It just didn't make me go 'wow' like the Challenger. Anyway, last week I was stopped at a light and I thought I heard a voice through my jams on the stereo...a lady in a 4 door buick next to me yelled out through her open window "Is that a Challenger?"...Yes it is I replied! She said "That is Sweet!!!!!". I said I was going through my 3rd mid-life crisis..or more appropriatlly my 3/4 life crisis!" She laughed and said.."Well, you're looking good babe!"...I shouted I know you're lying but thanks for the compliment as I drove off from the light! I could see her laughing as I drove off!

Duane

#1,998 ·
I've had my Hemi-Orange R/T for two weeks today. People have smiled, waved and followed me into parking lots to talk about my car. I doubt Mustang owners get this! And I am a Ford man, my dad is a Ford retiree and believe me, I know the 'stang is faster and lighter but the body style has never been there for me. It just didn't make me go 'wow' like the Challenger. Anyway, last week I was stopped at a light and I thought I heard a voice through my jams on the stereo...a lady in a 4 door buick next to me yelled out through her open window "Is that a Challenger?"...Yes it is I replied! She said "That is Sweet!!!!!". I said I was going through my 3rd mid-life crisis..or more appropriatlly my 3/4 life crisis!" She laughed and said.."Well, you're looking good babe!"...I shouted I know you're lying but thanks for the compliment as I drove off from the light! I could see her laughing as I drove off!

Duane
That's awesome! I am the same with the body. I really wanted the Ford but the Mustang's body are going to hell slowly...I always swooned over the Challenger body so I went for it!

#3 ·
My B5 SRT had been delivered to Miami on Nov 11. It sat there until after its scheduled delivery to the dealer, waiting for a full carrier for the trip through the Keys. Finally, on Nov 21, the dealer called and told me that the car was at the dealership. It arrived on one of those carriers that looks like an extended flat bed. I got there as quick as I could - I was already on my way (in hope and anticipation).

When I got to the dealership my car was already being prepped so I went back into the work bay to get my first looks. As I started looking the car over, a gentleman got off of his Harley that was parked a short distance away and walked over. "is that your car?" he asked.

"Yes it is," I replied.

"I saw that car on the carrier and followed it down from Islamorada [about 75 miles] just to see where it was going. Are you married?"

I swear its the truth.

#4 ·
I just had one today that was fun! I was in a long lineup at the drive thru for my morning coffee at Tim Horton's (I am not lazy...it is still faster than going in!) Anyway, a older guy walks up to my window and starts asking all about the Challenger and starts going on about how he had a Charger back in the early 70's etc. A good fun talk, but he has to keep walking with me along side my car as I am inching my way up to the order window. It was just cool how the car has that attraction factor. Like others have said, you will never see that with a Mustang (and I bet not often with the new Camaro either!) The old-school muscle car guys still love the Challenger best!

#5 ·
I’ve got two interstate stories.
1. I was driving on I-80 and I passed a car, they kind of paced my car as I passed, and then pulled in behind me. I watched the passenger take out her cell phone and took a couple of pictures of my car. I guess that wasn’t good enough, because then she pulled out another camera and took a few more pictures of the car (I could see the camera flash).
2. I was driving on I-35 following a car in the inner lane. A Mustang passes going the other direction, and I see the passenger point at that car. The driver must have said “you’ve got to see what’s behind us”, because the passenger unbuckled his seat belt so he could turn around to get a good look at my car.

#6 ·
I have had dozens of gawker encounters, with both of my cars! Some of the more memorable ....

1. About 5 or 6 teenage guys walking along the sidewalk near the gas station where I was filling up... One of them shouted out, "That is the most beautiful car I have ever seen!" I certainly couldn't disagree!

2. Cars stopping beside mine at a light (usually I'm not the first at the light, so they have a good bit of empty space in front of them) asking questions about the car.

3. I was at a local lake that has a parking lot. Mine was the only car there. I watched an SUV pull up, and out steps a dad with a couple of sons, he whips out his camera phone, looks around furtively and starts taking pix of the car. I started to walk towards my car, and he whips the phone back in his pocket, jumps in the SUV and drives away. I must have interrupted a guilty pleasure of his...LOL

4. As I was pulling out of this lake, there was another car apparently gawking because he pulled out in front of yet another car, causing an angry burst from the horn. We were the only 3 cars on the road.

5. Gas station gawkers...I don't know how many times I have had 45 minute fill ups at the gas station of which I only pumped gas for about 4 minutes. Such conversations usually end up with the hood and all doors open. (Chinese fire drill? LOL)

My Dad drives a Jaguar and he gets quite a few comments about his car, but several times I have driven him somewhere and I have gotten comments every time. I do like the looks of his car but I would rather have mine! LOL

#8 ·
I was sitting in the parking lot of a Walgreens. A guy came out of the store,spotted my car,walked up to me and said"Don't tell me this is your car." I guess in his eyes a chick shouldn't have a car like this. I said,"Yep,she's all mine. My husband bought it for me as a surprise Chrsitmas gift because I had been wanting one since I first saw the concept car in 2006." He said,"Man, your husband must love you a lot." I told him I do let my husband drive it once in a while.He then proceeded to tell me all the striping he thought I should have done.I told him it sounded like he should buy one.

#9 ·
Not too long after getting my R/T I took it to the one car wash in town that still does it the old fashioned way - by hand! When the receptionist told me they couldn't do it that day and asked me what car I had, I replied an 09 Challenger R/T. She got all excited and asked if she could take some pictures. I told her it was pretty dirty but she didn't mind and took several.
A few months later when I went in to town I went to the car wash and found out she was using the pictures of my dirty car as her desktop on the computer. This time I got it washed and she got pictures of it clean to replace the dirty ones.

#11 ·
Tons here as well, this car is like a magnet for peoples eyes, even when it's black. Not just car people too, lot's of people. Anyway, here is my most recent impressive one.

Outside a pizza joint in Jersey talking with some older guy about the car. He was asking me questions while I was eating my slice so I said, "you wanna go check it out?" so we were outside talking and he was really appreciative and all and as I sit down behind the wheel to leave another dude walks up to the car and says "nice" but in a way like you know he is a Mopar guy.... kinda holds the "i" for a while....
"niiice."
He continues "Used to have a 19(forget) (forget) in bright (forget)." but as he is telling about it he is looking my car up and down like it stole something. After a brief few car guy pleasantries he was off and I was getting ready to pull out of the spot when the first guy walks back up and says how much his friend, who I was just chatting with, also likes the car. Yo know who that is right?" I said, no, who? "That's the Former Chief Of Police, a really hooked up guy." Now this is a town of almost 50,000 people, so I was pretty impressed.
Now I know why they ordered Chargers.
Glad I was nice.
Glad HE was nice!

#12 ·
I've had the car wash guys take pictures of it, women want to ride in it, people want to race it and friends admire it. The Challenger rules. What more could you ask for?

Been asking the same folks about the Camaro, seems to be mixed results. Most seem somewhat confused about it (Corvette? Camaro? 69? Whaaa??), as if they don't quite get it. Others rave, others say no. I'd get one, once I get the money. Hell yeah, muscle cars are the shit!

Reactions: P.M.F. & PAL
#13 ·
My most memorable moment was when the Challenger's just hit dealers and I went to Dixie Motors in Nashville,TN. They are known for having very nice and reputable used cars from anything from a Dodge Caravan to a BMW 7 series to a Ferrari. They have a seperate garage a few blocks a way and I went to test drive a black 08 First Edition Challenger and they actually let me drive it all by myself with no salesman inside. It was absolutely incredible. I remember this guy cutting through a gas station parking lot and damn near crashing to take a picture of this car. For some reason I remember this day so much more vividly then the day I actually purchased my own Challenger just outside of Cleveland,OH. I Know it sounds crazy but It was mesmerizing. I remember pulling up to this "garage" and seeing this Black Challenger with the nose just peeking out of it and I was star struck. I'm fortunate enough to own my dream car growing up which is a Dodge Viper and no other car has given me the feeling I felt that day when I went up to Nashville and seen the new Challenger for the first time in person. Thats my story and I will never ever forget that day.

#14 ·
I'll add a few more

I started this thread but I'll add 2 more (for now).

1. In the parking lot at the post office when an elderly lady (80ish) walks up and says, "Wow - is that a pretty color of yellow!" Then she asks me what it is and says "Is it from the '70s because I remember cars back then that looked like yours!" (I told her it was an R/T classic and was supposed to look like a vintage).

2. Teen-age black kid on a bike stops next to me at the quick shop and says, "Dude, that car is d*** straight f***** up!" I just looked at him kind of puzzled and he said, "I'm telling you that your car is NICE!" So I replied, "Oh, sorry... I don't speak jive!" (HONEST).

#17 ·
If you don't have several stories like these, you need to drive the car more. I have so many, it would take a book to tell them all! If only I had time to give rides to all the girls wanting to go, most want at least an hour!!

So you charge by the hour? :gy:. . . . . . . . . .JK!

Sorry I couldn't resist, I even deleted it once!

#19 ·
1. Picked up my kids from school. One kid starts jumping around like an overexcited Lab Puppy. He is hopping back and forth, running around skittishly and pointing at my Challenger. Was the funniest thing I have ever seen. Thought he was going to wet himself.

2. POLICE GAWK. Got pulled by a state trooper. I pulled out of a gas station a little strong (no smoking tires) and I see a state trooper head on coming at me, and see him turn around. It took him a little bit to get to me, but I had already pulled over, 200 yards from my kids Highschool and in the front yard of
my Ambulance Captain (I volunteer EMT in my town). Trooper comes up and says "Sharp car. Lookin good. But you don't have a front plate." I told him the plate was there when I washed the car an hour ago, Oh no! He walks to the front and says, "Oh you have a front plate. I just didn't see it because I was looking over the car. I like the front end!" He offers his name, shakes my hand, and asks if I have "Had a chance to open her up yet". I told him no (lie) because I just got it. He continues to look over the car, ask me questions about the engine and options. He says "Well see ya around I am sure." and I say "I hope only for good visits like this one!" He laughs and watches me pull away (mild strength).

EVERYONE likes this car...

#20 ·
Stopped by the dealership the other day to have them put the REAR plate on and they did a quick detail. got about 3 blocks away, close to a friends business, and making a left turn in the city. had a lady waiting for me on the left of the intersection, saw her rolling her window down, and went by (kinda slow) she just gawked with her eyes real big and said (real loud) I LOVE YOUR CAR! Next block another guy rolls his window down an yells ******* nice ride. when i got to my buddies place his jaw just dropped! gota love it! OH, and when the wife drives her, security keeps one camera trained on the car, ALL DAY! you just gota love it! :smileup:

#21 ·
I've had several as well, but probably the best one:

I work in the HQ office of a manufacturing company that has plants around the US and Europe so we get execs from the plants visiting us all the time. One day I'm in my cubicle and the Operations VP comes in and asks if that's my Challenger. I said yes and we started talking, then I asked if he'd like to check it out so I took him out and gave him the $0.25 tour.

I later found out he had been asking several people in the office whose car it was and finally tracked me down.

I saw him a few months later and he started talking to me again, like we now have a bond.

#22 ·
So many to think about.......

The most bizarre one was several months ago I went to the bank (drive through) and after I took care of business I was leaving and a young girl,probably in her twenty's, stopped in the middle of the parking lot right in front of me:4-dontknow: looked like she was in shock. I actually had to stop and wait for her to move to the side. When I pulled up next to her I rolled down my window and asked her if she was alright???? NO RESPONSE. I think her jaw was stuck to the floor..... So I just drove off. Wish I had a camera with me.

Joe

#23 ·

The most bizarre one was several months ago I went to the bank (drive through) and after I took care of business I was leaving and a young girl,probably in her twenty's, stopped in the middle of the parking lot right in front of me:4-dontknow: looked like she was in shock. I actually had to stop and wait for her to move to the side. When I pulled up next to her I rolled down my window and asked her if she was alright???? NO RESPONSE. I think her jaw was stuck to the floor..... So I just drove off. Wish I had a camera with me.

Joe
Ha ha, that's a good one.

#25 ·
This reminds me...I stopped to get money out of the ATM at the drive through at the bank. I had to stop short of the window to use the ATM. When I was done at the ATM, the three ladies in the bank were huddled at the window, around the microphone, and they stopped me to ask questions about it (year, gas mileage, etc.). I thought it was pretty funny!

Joe

#26 ·
I have been going in and out of gates as a driver for over 30 years now. having been a military brat, a soldier and am now retired after 20 years and work on base. I have never been pulled over for a "random" search, nore have I known anyone who has. I have now been selected "randomly" twice within the first week of driving my car. the one time I think the should have been filmed as the Gaurd was standing there talling me about my car being a race car. With me replying that racecars dont have leather seats Nav systems. It took me a while to stop thinking about the old comercial. By the way, all the gaurds now know me by name at the gate I go through on my way to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.