Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 17 scat pack had zero oil pressure and I changed the oil pressure sensor and it still says zero oil pressure and it stalls a few seconds after I start it. There's no mods done. I have oil and it's up to the middle of the safe mark. I don't know if my motor is shot If , or it's the oil pump , or the oil filter ,. The car only has 38k. I don't want to keep starting it or having it run because I'm afraid of seizing the motor. Any ideas? I have owned since 900 miles. I bought it with a Certified Pre Owned Warranty on the drivetrain which is good until May 2024. I just don't want to bring it to a dealership and have to deal with them trying to say it's not covered. I've had a similar experience with my last challenger and it took a month of fighting to get it covered and they had my car the whole time. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,168 Posts
My 17 scat pack had zero oil pressure and I changed the oil pressure sensor and it still says zero oil pressure and it stalls a few seconds after I start it. There's no mods done. I have oil and it's up to the middle of the safe mark. I don't know if my motor is shot If , or it's the oil pump , or the oil filter ,. The car only has 38k. I don't want to keep starting it or having it run because I'm afraid of seizing the motor. Any ideas? I have owned since 900 miles. I bought it with a Certified Pre Owned Warranty on the drivetrain which is good until May 2024. I just don't want to bring it to a dealership and have to deal with them trying to say it's not covered. I've had a similar experience with my last challenger and it took a month of fighting to get it covered and they had my car the whole time. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
What's the history of the car? Has it been sitting for awhile? Have you or someone been working on the car? Besides installing a new sensor what was the last thing done?

First thing a tech would do (probably) would be confirm there is oil in the crankcase and the level is good. But I bet at the same time he'd eyeball the battery and its connections and the engine and engine compartment looking for anything out place. A loose hose, connector, rodent sign, you name it.

The general rule is if low oil pressure is suspected to check the oil pressure with a known good oil pressure gauge.

If the known gauge says there's no oil pressure that's one thing. But if the known gauge says there is oil pressure that's a whole 'nother thing.

However, with the chance there could be no oil pressure I'd just arrange to flat bed the car to a dealer and take advantage of the warranty. I don't know where you are -- and I don't have to know -- but the warranty should be good at any Dodge dealer so you do not have to use the one you used before. 'course, the nearest Dodge dealer might be in another time zone...

· Premium Member
6,151 Posts
I seen the oil pickup fall out of the pump on a club car about 3 years ago. However, that car whacked the edge of a sewer cover and tore out the crossmember and the oil pan. After that was all replaced, the oil pickup fell out about a month later. To clarify... he bent the pickup tube and screen back into place and the damn thing broke where he bent it back into shape. We should have taken the engine out and done it right. But, he was short on cash. Then the car sat for nearly a year until he had the funds to fix it and get it back on the road.
-John

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only changed the oil pressure sensor. It's a 2017 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack shaker 6speed. Im on long Island in Suffolk County Patchogue/Medford area.I drive the car 2 or 3 days a week. It has 38k miles on it. I drove the car the night before and had no issues at all. Woke up 6 hours later to go to work , started the car while I loaded my stuff in the trunk and when I got back into the car , it said low oil pressure and the oil light came on. I looked at the gauge and it said zero and the performance pages oil gauge said "- -". I shut the car off and scanned it for codes and didn't have any. I restarted the car and listened to the motor under the hood and I didn't hear anything other than the normal sounds it always made.it sounded fine. No knocking, pinging, tapping, clicking or clacking. Then it slowly surged after maybe 15 seconds of running and stalled out. The oil level is right in the middle of the safe mark. I did all oil changes when it needed to be done. There's no oil leak or burning oil. There's no fumes from the exhaust. No smoke. It didn't make much sense so I ordered the oil pressure sensor and installed it. I started the car and it still says the same low oil pressure and it again surged and shut off. I checked the oil again after it shut off and it was about an inch lower the safe mark. I didn't hear any strange noises or anything out of the exhaust. I don't want to keep starting it and have the motor blown or seize up. There were no performance degrade before this happened either. I have a drivetrain warranty from Dodge from the car bring certified pre owned vehicle which gives an extra 2 years after the factory warranty expires. I want to go about this the right way at the dealership when I bring it there and make sure they cover it without the hassle and trying to blame it on consumer error , where they try to get out of covering it. Any experience with the right way to get them to do the work without the hassle? Any idea what this could be? Is the motor done? I know it's hard over the internet to diagnose but any info would be great. Thanks guys

· Registered
875 Posts
The best suggestion anyone can give you is dont run it with zero pressure (and it may explain why the car cuts off, hopefully to save the motor). Sorry i dont have any suggestions and i fully understand your concern with the warranty. Unfortunately as you said dealerships and car makers seem to always "try" and not honor it. One thing i picked up on when i went to a Nissan Dealership a year or so ago with my old Rogue Sport is they actually wrote down WORD FOR WORD what I said when I sat with them and explained my problem and frustration (so be careful what you say).

My suggestion is go to Browns on RT 112 in Medford without the car and go to the service department and ask to speak with someone because you think your car has a serious problem.
Try to play a little dumb and tell them you have a bone stock Challenger and have had it since 900 miles and you started it yesterday and it showed no oil pressure and it stalled right out. Tell them you haven't touched it since and its your only car and your very concerned and how do i have it flat bedded here for you to look at....

Just remember they may actually be writing down word for word what you say so keep it short and simple, I started it yesterday to go to work, it showed no oil pressure and stalled out, i havent touched it since. Keep it simple but remind them you have never had a problem, the car runs flawless, never had a problem, always maintained, bla bla bla
To me thats the only move...

Good Luck

· Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,168 Posts
Only changed the oil pressure sensor. It's a 2017 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack shaker 6speed. Im on long Island in Suffolk County Patchogue/Medford area.I drive the car 2 or 3 days a week. It has 38k miles on it. I drove the car the night before and had no issues at all. Woke up 6 hours later to go to work , started the car while I loaded my stuff in the trunk and when I got back into the car , it said low oil pressure and the oil light came on. I looked at the gauge and it said zero and the performance pages oil gauge said "- -". I shut the car off and scanned it for codes and didn't have any. I restarted the car and listened to the motor under the hood and I didn't hear anything other than the normal sounds it always made.it sounded fine. No knocking, pinging, tapping, clicking or clacking. Then it slowly surged after maybe 15 seconds of running and stalled out. The oil level is right in the middle of the safe mark. I did all oil changes when it needed to be done. There's no oil leak or burning oil. There's no fumes from the exhaust. No smoke. It didn't make much sense so I ordered the oil pressure sensor and installed it. I started the car and it still says the same low oil pressure and it again surged and shut off. I checked the oil again after it shut off and it was about an inch lower the safe mark. I didn't hear any strange noises or anything out of the exhaust. I don't want to keep starting it and have the motor blown or seize up. There were no performance degrade before this happened either. I have a drivetrain warranty from Dodge from the car bring certified pre owned vehicle which gives an extra 2 years after the factory warranty expires. I want to go about this the right way at the dealership when I bring it there and make sure they cover it without the hassle and trying to blame it on consumer error , where they try to get out of covering it. Any experience with the right way to get them to do the work without the hassle? Any idea what this could be? Is the motor done? I know it's hard over the internet to diagnose but any info would be great. Thanks guys
From what you write I don't think the oil pressure is a problem, I think the fact the low oil pressure light comes on is the problem. Well, a symptom of the underlying problem.

What that underlying problem is I can't say. it would not surprise me that it proves to be electrical in nature. But let a professional tech make the diagnosis.

However, to be safe I would not run the engine any which of course means you have to arrange to get the car flat bedded to the a dealer. When you call for a tow truck be sure you stress the engine can not be started due to a low oil pressure light.

Arrange for the flat bed tow truck when the dealer is open so the tow truck operator can unload the car by gravity and there is help to move the car into a parking spot without having to start the engine. If possible you should follow the tow truck operator and be there when the car is unloaded. Call ahead and let the service department know you having a car flat bedded to the service department with a low oil pressure light on. You can even tape a paper sign to the glass -- inside the car -- NO OIL PRESSURE! DO NOT START ENGINE!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone here have the same issue? If anyone has any other reports of this happening , I would like to get some info on it, just so I could bring up these issues other challenger/charger owners had and the warranty covered it. I need some ammunition to debate and fight with just in case the dealership starts giving me problems with fixing it under the warranty claim. Any and all help with this will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

· Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
5,057 Posts
No its not common, and if you simply tell them hey I was driving it and now it has zero pressure and wont run.
Could be tons of reasons why you have this issue but if you bought it with a warranty let them deal with it.
Also do not tell them you replaced anything on the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts