Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man i feel your pain..Its hard to enjoy myself when i'm in a hotel room and my sweet ride is out in the parking lot.. my solution is like many above,, research the hotel location, try to get a room high up and within view of your ride. Then just have good insurance, and try to enjoy yourself, just tell yourself lifes too short to let criminals ruin your adventures., for me, even worse than someone stealing my ride, is if someone hits it, and flees...
if you like tech stuff, get a motion sensor/ reciever, with a 1/2 mile range. leave one in the car at night, it will light off the reciever if anyone enters your car. ( i got a set and they are handy for many applications.)

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
There is the flip side of things. We were in a car show in Columbus some years ago. We stopped off at a mall and found a space away from the rest of the crowd. When we came out later we found someone had coned off the spaces around us.
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A 6 speed
341 Posts
Just don't go to Memphis. I left my car outside the Marriott in Memphis for two nights for Power Tour 2022. That was nerve wracking. I pulled the fuel pump relay and hoped for the best. I told my friend that the Hellcat parked 8 spaces over would be the first one someone would try to steal. Lo and behold, the next morning, the Hellcat's passenger window was on the ground in a million pieces. They didn't steal the car because the couple had the security code fix and it wouldn't start. The hotel had security and it still happened. I sure was glad to leave Memphis and head back to Tennessee.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,695 Posts
Am I just being paranoid or are there others afraid to leave their car parked at a hotel overnight?
Wanted to do a cruise but afraid to leave my car at the hotel lot at night even with security measures in place.
Am I just being paranoid?
A few of my friends said their cars got stolen from parking lots and hotels.
I definitely share your concern especially with our 2015 R/T, as there have been so many upgrades done to it, that it is a one of a kind, and insurance cannot replace that! We do however have 2 Challengers my wife's 2021 GT with no upgrades is what we would use to take a trip as insurance would cover that.

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
‘22 Smokeshow T/A 5.7, Plus, Auto, Hood Pins, Convenience, Sunroof, Alpine w Sub, Compact Spare
101 Posts
Am I just being paranoid or are there others afraid to leave their car parked at a hotel overnight?
Wanted to do a cruise but afraid to leave my car at the hotel lot at night even with security measures in place.
Not just you. We just went to Vegas overnight for a concert. Typically we stay in a big hotel with underground valet parking but this time it was a small hotel where our car would’ve been outside and not near our room so we felt more comfy taking our other ride.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Don't be afraid to talk with the hotel desk either. I have stumbled across car enthusiasts that are very understanding.

I had the Challenger in Deadwood, SD staying at the Holiday Inn Express which is inside a remodeled vintage building (not my accommodation choice, that was made by family). Parking lot is literally two blocks away. Yes, the lot requires a code to access. I asked how often they changed the code and got a blank look, then "It has been the same as long as I have worked here." So other than being reserved parking it provided no security.

Oh yeah, that created a bit of stress for me, but then I talked to the manager. They had some Conex boxes in the lot and she said there were several parking places hidden on the other side which I was welcome to. Just move the cones & ropes, put them back when I am done. All I had to do was ask politely.

No problems, it worked out fine. Granted this is South Dakota and not a major metro city. I saw more open carry than I saw face masks (this was at the peak of 'rona), I felt very safe there. Car was fine and we did not come home with the 'rona.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just got back, the hotel was super. I parked right across from my room, able to see it from my room. Put a FRS radio in VOX mode with Roger Beep set in there. Any noise or breaking the window would have set off the other radio.
Did not have a peep, everything fine. Had a great time on the group drive.

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
3,028 Posts
Just got back, the hotel was super. I parked right across from my room, able to see it from my room. Put a FRS radio in VOX mode with Roger Beep set in there. Any noise or breaking the window would have set off the other radio.
Did not have a peep, everything fine. Had a great time on the group drive.

I use to use a baby monitor to watch my boat when parked in the hotel parking lot at night.

Lots cheaper than a normal radio, and I never had any issue with distance being too far either to transmit.

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So good to hear all went well, Sky.

I have a pedal jack/lock that keep in and on the car always. Unlike a steering wheel lock, it it thick, metal, and has a very specific key. Average thieves most likely won't be prepared to get through it in time to get away with your baby.

yeah well they need to change the laws, because how I see it , it is okay for them to steal your car but it is NOT OK to stop them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I feel your pain............why not just get a battery cut off switch (the little gizmo fits on one of the poles of the battery) and since the battery is in the trunk, most of those a$$holes will never figure it out....I use them on all my classic cars....besides, they're only about $10.00.........great insurance !

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I feel your pain............why not just get a battery cut off switch (the little gizmo fits on one of the poles of the battery) and since the battery is in the trunk, most of those a$$holes will never figure it out....I use them on all my classic cars....besides, they're only about $10.00.........great insurance !
Don't think we can do that with these modern cars, I knkw it freaks out Uconnect and will shut off some if my GPS trackers. I was looking at my parking mode Dashcam video yesterday. I saw a marked security car drive-through about every 2 hours. He also stopped in the lobby. They also had a sign not responsible for losses or damages. I do think hotels need to step up the game and make sure people's cars are secure. This hotel did.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,925 Posts
I only know of one person who had his car stolen. It was taken by a couple of bank robbers who had just left the bank and spotted his car about to get washed -- this at the dealership. The keys were in the car and the engine running while the tech was moving a vehicle out of the wash bay. The robbers jumped in and took off.

Owner found out the car had a LoJack installed -- he had bought the car used -- and this was used to track the car down. It was found parked on a parking lot on the other side of the SF bay. Only slight damage.

I've been on the road now 4 days and 3 nights and park my new 2022 BMW in the hotel parking lot with no worries. But I drove my Hellcat from CA to AR back in July 2020 and parked the Hellcat in the hotel parking lot with no real fear of it being gone the next morning.

Sure some vehicles will be stolen from a hotel parking lot somewhere but not my vehicle. So I don't really worry about it.

I do take reasonable precautions. My habit is to park in well lighted area. Last night pretty much had the entire huge back lot -- behind the hotel -- to myself. The front lot and all its spaces were taken. Hotel was pretty full. I managed to get the last room, a wheelchair access room up on the 3rd floor. So like I had last choice of rooms I had last choice of where to park. But the back lot was fine.

Besides parking in a well lighted area I don't leave anything of any value in the car. It is locked of course.

I usually back in. Harder to use a wheel lift tow truck to remove the car. The back wheels are locked with the transmission being in P and the parking brake set.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went to Auburn Hills MI in the Detroit/Pontiac area. I contacted the Police via their Facebook messaging and asked about which areas had the lowest reported incidents. I got good feedback. I also parked where I could see the car from the hotel window. No issues. But I did have my head on a swivel while I was there.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts