Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The dealership just notified me that it’s something internal and it would take 10 hours of labor to tear it down to figure out what’s wrong with it. The cost would be $2,200. The car had 37 thousand miles on it.
I have come to a conclusion that Dodge sucks and I will never buy a Dodge ever again. 🚮.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Sounds like the lifter went bad and probably took the cam out then. Time to get performance cam and get few extra ponies out of it.
There is a problem with cars that dont get driven. The oil runs to the pan then lifters and cam is dry at start up. This isnt good. Any car should get started and driven at least twice a week. 30 min or so to let everything get lubrication and fluids moving.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sounds like the lifter went bad and probably took the cam out then. Time to get performance cam and get few extra ponies out of it.
There is a problem with cars that dont get driven. The oil runs to the pan then lifters and cam is dry at start up. This isnt good. Any car should get started and driven at least twice a week. 30 min or so to let everything get lubrication and fluids moving.
I’ve had this car for over a year. It had 16 thousand miles on it when I purchased it. It has been my daily driver. What do you mean this is a problem of a car that doesn’t get driven?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The dealership just notified me that it’s something internal and it would take 10 hours of labor to tear it down to figure out what’s wrong with it. The cost would be $2,200. The car had 37 thousand miles on it.
I have come to a conclusion that Dodge sucks and I will never buy a Dodge ever again. 🚮.
Thanks guys.
Hope this is not the same dealer that initially believed the coil was the problem and replaced the coil.

10 hours of engine tear down is a lot of hours and a lot of teardown. I used to know auto techs who could pull an engine and have it pretty much down to the bare block in 10 hours.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I’ve had this car for over a year. It had 16 thousand miles on it when I purchased it. It has been my daily driver. What do you mean this is a problem of a car that doesn’t get driven?
Sorry, thought you only had 16k on it now.
These lifters do suck. They go bad unfortunately. Then they take the cam out when it happens.
Id get a second opinion before tearing into it. Try an indy if its not under warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hope this is not the same dealer that initially believed the coil was the problem and replaced the coil.

10 hours of engine tear down is a lot of hours and a lot of teardown. I used to know auto techs who could pull an engine and have it pretty much down to the bare block in 10 hours.
Yea unfortunately it is. They also told me that I needed a nee headlight...$350 to replace 🤦‍♂️. I inspected it myself and come ro find out it was the fuse (#20). My HID lights work perfectly fine now.
This dealership sucks so bad. I’ve had the worst experience with them so far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sorry, thought you only had 16k on it now.
These lifters do suck. They go bad unfortunately. Then they take the cam out when it happens.
Id get a second opinion before tearing into it. Try an indy if its not under warranty.
Yea this car gets driven on the daily and I haven’t had absolutely no problems with it until now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Also are there any recommendations on spark plugs on this type of vehicle? Do I need mopar spark plugs from the dealership or could i just buy some from autozone?

I recently changed two of the plugs on bank 2 and now I’m thinking that might have something to do with it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
You can get them from autozone. Just dont use bosch plugs. Try autolight or ngk's. Should be iridium plugs.
Why did you only change 2?
Usually you change all at the same time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I only changed two because the misfire came from Bank 2 and I thought that’s what caused the misfire.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Do you have access to a compression gauge? Id recommend seeing what the compression is on the cylinder that has the misfire. I believe you can rent one/loaner from autozone or advance if not. Easy enough to check while youve got a plug out.
Any loud ticking coming from the engine?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yea unfortunately it is. They also told me that I needed a nee headlight...$350 to replace 🤦‍♂️. I inspected it myself and come ro find out it was the fuse (#20). My HID lights work perfectly fine now.
This dealership sucks so bad. I’ve had the worst experience with them so far.
You seem like you know more then the dealer your using. Anything electrical gets diagnosed by checking the fuses first.
Nice job.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Do you have access to a compression gauge? Id recommend seeing what the compression is on the cylinder that has the misfire. I believe you can rent one/loaner from autozone or advance if not. Easy enough to check while youve got a plug out.
No I don’t have a compression gauge right now but I’ll go to autozone tomorrow and see what if i can rent one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
And there’s a ticking noise that’s coming from the car. It sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side of the car. The ticking happens when i give it a little gas on low speeds.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Pass side is definitely the issue. Thats bank 2. Get the compression checker and check he compression on the misfire cylinder and a cylinder from bank 1 also. You might have the dreaded lifter issue unfortunately. Compression check will help determine it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Welcome to Los Angeles. If you guys are ever in this city please avoid going here.
“2025 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90007.”

This is by far the worst experience I’ve ever had dealing with a car. I’m seriously thinking of never getting a Dodge ever again.It’s sad.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts